ISO 22000 is a Food Safety Management System that can be applied to any organization in the food chain, farm to fork. Becoming certified to ISO 22000 allows a company to show their customers that they have a food safety management system in place. This provides customer confidence in the product. This is becoming more and more important as customers demand safe food and food processors require that ingredients obtained from their suppliers to be safe. Nested Management Consultants can help you to get ISO 22000 Certification in Dubai, UAE. We also offer ISO 22000 consultantancy in other states like Sharjah, Ajman, Abu Dhabi, Ras Al Khaima, Fujaihra, Umm Al Qawain etc.
The Aim of ISO 22000:
- Having an overall Food Safety Policy for your organization, developed by top management.
- Setting objectives that will drive your company’s efforts to comply with this policy.
- Planning and designing a management system and documenting the system.
- Maintaining records of the performance of the system.
- Establishing a group of qualified individuals to make up a Food Safety Team.
- Defining communication procedures to ensure effective communication with important contacts outside the company (regulatory, customers, suppliers and others) and for effective internal communication.
- Having an emergency plan
- Holding management review meetings to evaluate the performance of the FSMS
- Providing adequate resources for the effective operation of the FSMS including appropriately trained and qualified personnel, sufficient infrastructure and appropriate work environment to ensure food safety
- Establishing a traceability system for identification of the product
- Establishing a corrective action system and control of nonconforming product
- Maintaining a documented procedure for handling withdrawal of product
- Controlling monitoring and measuring devices
- Establishing and maintaining and internal audit program
- Continually updating and improving the FSMS
WHO SHOULD USE ISO 22000?
Since ISO 22000 is a generic food safety management standard, it can be used by any organization directly or indirectly involved in the food chain. It applies to all organizations in the food chain. It doesn’t matter how complex the organization is or what size it is, ISO 22000 can help ensure the safety of its food products.
The food chain consists of the entire sequence of stages and operations involved in the creation and consumption of food products. This includes every step from initial production to final consumption. More precisely, it includes the production, processing, distribution, storage, and handling of all food and food ingredients.
The food chain also includes organizations that do not directly handle food. These include organizations that produce feed for animals that produce food and for animals that will be used as food. It also includes organizations that produce materials that will eventually come into contact with food or food ingredients.
Benefits of ISO 22000 standard:
- A preventative approach to food safety
- Can help identify process improvements & reduced customer complaints
- Reduces the need for, and the cost of end product testing
- Is complementary to quality management systems such as ISO 9001
- Provides evidence of due diligence & reduces the likelihood of product recall & adverse publicity
- Enhances customer satisfaction / reduces dissatisfaction
- Facilitates better understanding of food packaging safety issues throughout the organization
- Improves staff performance through the promotion of team spirit & improves staff morale and motivation through a cleaner working environment
- A clear, auditable, global standard providing a framework to bring together all parts of your Food Safety Management System (FSMS)
- Demonstrates commitment to customer satisfaction
- Tests compliance with statutory and regulatory requirements and your own systems through internal audits and management reviews
- Improves internal and external communications
- Improves your organization’s image
- Links pre-requisite programs (PRP’s & OPRP’s), HACCP with the Plan-Do-Study-Act philosophies of ISO9001 to increase the effectiveness of your food management system
- Requires regular testing of data integrity / lot recall programs and process audits
- Aligns with other management systems (ISO 9001, ISO 14001)